Thursday, June 11, 2009

May 16, 2009: Metolius Golden Stone Amber Ale




On the journey of the 365brews project, I've certainly learned a lot of things about myself. I learned that drinking a beer every single day is a lot harder than it sounds. I learned that writing something interesting or thought provoking about beer every single day is infinitely harder. Perhaps the one most important, self-defining thing that I have discovered about myself over the past four and a half month is that my favorite kind of beer has changed dramatically. Although there are all different kinds of beer that I've grown to love over the years, I typically considered myself to be primarily an ale man until I discovered the new love of my life: free beer. A wise man once said that the sweetest beer is the one that you don't have to pay for, and those words have never rung truer for me. I have greatly underestimated the financial impact that embarking on the 365brews project would have on me, so I've learned to indulge in a free beer whenever I can get my hands on one. Tonight my friend Matt is having a birthday, and as luck would have it there is a bottle of Metolius Golden Stone Amber Ale in the fridge with my name on it. In a strange twist of fate, this bottle of Metolius in Matt's fridge was free for him as well, as my Brother somehow acquired a case of the stuff from one of his in-laws and decided to give a few bottles to Matt. So I'm drinking a free free beer, which makes it even sweeter in my opinion.

Metolius Golden Stone Amber Ale is a microbrewed beer, and sadly there's nothing to write home about with this one. Nothing particularly interesting or noteworthy about the taste, appearance or aroma. Metolius Golden Stone Amber Ale is just another on of the many beer that I've had in my lifetime, and forgotten about almost immediately after. Maybe the fact that my bottle of Metolious Golden Stone Amber Ale came well after the effects of alcohol had begun to impede the funtioning of my brain had something to do with my inability to accurately assess the merits of this particular beer. Inebriation aside, I'm usually able to garner at least one relevant bit of information from each beer that I drink, but Metolius Golden Stone Amber Ale might as well have a glass of air. I faintly remember a somewhat metallic, acrid flavor about this beer that I found somewhat unpleasant but not to the point of making it undrinkable. The only logical conclusion that I can make about Metolius Golden Stone Amber Ale is that if it wasn't memorable to penetrate the haze of drunkness and register something noteworthy in my mind, then it probably wasn't all that great of a beer. However, if I cross paths with this beer again in the future, I'll be sure to give it a second chance when my brain is operating under more lucid circumstances.

Cheers!
Ian


http://www.macsbeer.com/

No comments: