Wednesday, June 17, 2009

May 20, 2009: Okocim Porter




I don't get any pleasure from giving a beer a negative review. Some people get off on that kind of thing. They derive a sick sense of pleasure from tearing down others, but I've never really been able to fully comprehend that mindset. I understand how difficult it is for these breweries to break away from the pack and create a beer that is both high quality and distinctive. I'm always looking for the most positive things to say about each beer that I try, but sometimes there isn't much you can say in defense of a disappointing beer. I tried Okocim's standard lager a few months ago, and it was hard to contain my disappointment. The little slice of Polish blood that I have in me was praying for Okocim to deliver a taste that rivaled it's snooty German neighbors, but it fell fantastically short. So when I was cruising the aisles of my local market in search of new beers to try, I was excited to see Okocim Porter on the shelf. Even though the Okocim Lager didn't quite do it for me, I was willing to give the Poles another shot with the Okocim Porter.

I'm pleased to say that my trust in Okocim wasn't misplaced, because Okocim Porter was leaps and bounds better than Okocim Lager. I'm willing to concede that my preference for porters over lagers may have had something to with my love of Okocim Porter, but there was another intangible about this beer that really set apart in my mind. First of all, porters aren't commonly brewed in Europe outside of the UK, so Okocim Porter adds a new Polish twist on a British Classic. The sweet flavor of Okocim Porter belies it's classic chocolate brown color, making it a surprisingly refreshing example of how diverse a porter can be. Good news Poland, you're back in my good graces! Sure, you'll continue to be the butt of corny schoolyard jokes that nobody really thinks are all that funny anymore, but you can hold your heads up high knowing oyour country is able to produce an extraordinary beer like Okocim Porter.

Na Zdrowie!
Ian

http://www.okocim.pl/

No comments: