Thursday, February 12, 2009

February 10, 2009: Mac's Blackwatch





Welcome to Portland, Oregon! Home of stoners, burnt out hippies, countless phish-esque jam bands and.... really great beer? Anyone who knows a thing or two about beer has a special soft spot in their heart for Portland, the brewing Mecca of the pacific northwest. Tonight's brew comes from the hazy holyland to the north, and I'm pretty excited after the lacklustre beer I had last night. Tonight's beer is called Mac's Blackwatch Creamy Porter, and It's hard to contain my excitement. Ales are pretty much the bread and butter of my beer diet, but porters have the distinction of being probably my favorite style of beer. Mac's Blackwatch sounds like it has all of the chops that I expect from a good porter, but I've learned to never judge a book by its cover or a beer by a label.
Mac's Blackwatch uses the word creamy to describe itself, but creamy doesn't even begin to cover it. This beer is so smooth coming out of the bottle that it's like liquid velvet. Mac's Blackwatch has maybe the smoothest mouth feel of any of the beers that I have tried so far. Another very distinct feature of this porter is the color of the head. Most beers have a head that comes out as a foamy white or cream color, but Mac's Blackwatch heads a nutty tan head. This brew isn 't an oatmeal stout, but there are strong flavors of oatmeal in both the aroma and taste. In short, Mac's Blackwatch absolutely lived up to the unrealistic expectations that I had created in my mind. Well done Mac's!

Cheers,
Ian

http://www.macsbeer.com/

No comments: