Monday, February 23, 2009

February 20, 2009: Red Stripe







One thing that I've noticed about human nature as I grown up is that every person has their weaknesses. It doesn't matter who you are, we all have certain strange things that somehow become near and dear to our hearts that we can't quite explain. Growing up, my father was like most dads except for his unrivaled collection of campy pig souvenirs and cheesy Elvis memorabilia. My best friend is very much into contemporary/street art and just designed his own vinyl toy which he is in the process of creating. Me, I like to think of myself as an open book of sorts, but there are a few things about me that only the closest of my friends know. For instance, I have an almost embarrasing love of reggae music, particularly the legendary work of Mr. Bob Marley. Not such a bad obsession to have on the face of it, but it's what reggae does to me when I listen to it that's almost humiliating. It doesn't really matter what the circumstance is, if I hear reggae I become entranced. Someone could have just scored with my girlfriend, punched my mother in the face and stolen my car, but if there was a reggae band playing in the room everything would suddenly seem right with the world. I know what you're thinking, and no, it's not because I smoke marijuana everytime I listen to reggae or anything like that. No, the music itself is enough entrance me and make me act like a complete idiot, closing me eyes, bobbing my head in time to the hypnotic rhythm, and retreating to the island paradise in my mind. There's just something about the entire vibe of reggae that I seem to get, which my friends can't seem to understand. My love for reggae music has understandably created a positive bias in my mind for all things Jamaican.


Tonight's beer Red Stripe is just as Jamaican as reggae music, but almost certainly appeals to a wider section of the population. On the sandy shores of Montego bay there are two beers that the locals will drink over any other. The first, rather inexplicably, is the famous Irish stout Guinness. The second is the one and only Red Stripe. I think for a lot of whitebread Americans, it's hard to comprehend the nuances of the island lifestyle. Jamaicans have a very different philosophy about life than your average American Joe, and it very apparent in this sunny lager. There a nice hoppiness to Red Stripe that feels altogether different from it's European couterparts, a lightness that is almost palpable. Is Red Stripe the most innovative and alluring lager I've ever had? I think it would be a big stretch to say so, but the fact that Red Stripe doesn't seem to care all too much about being the best beer in the world almost makes it more appealing. If you're looking for the perfect beer to enjoy while you kick your feet up on the table and enjoy life to the fullest, choose Red Stripe.
Cheers,
Ian

2 comments:

Garfasaurus Rex said...

I was going to make some terrible comment like "Jamaican me crazy". But I will save myself the embarrassment.

Garfasaurus Rex said...

What the F*? Where are your updates?