Monday, February 2, 2009

January 31, 2009: Lion Stout




Well ladies and gentlemen, they said I'd never make it this far, but tonight the 365brews project has officially passed the one month mark. I'm officially 1/12th of the way to my goal, and still going strong. As I was sitting in class the other day, reflecting on the past month of beers that has just seemed to fly by, I was shocked to realize that I've gone a month without drinking a single stout. Are you freakin' kidding me? How could this have possibly happened? I'm baffled that I've gone so long without having a single, creamy stout. I really have no excuse, but tonight it's time to rectify my mistake and treat myself to a quality brew; Lion Stout.

The distinctive label of this beer and the almost black bottle caught my eye right away. With a name like Lion Stout, I'm expecting a beer that pulls absolutely no punches. After all, the lion conjures regal images of power and majesty, so if this beer sucks, I'm going to be really pissed. I'm happy to report to you, dear reader, that Lion Stout actually did what many other similarly named beers have failed to do in the past and delivered great taste and body. To call Lion Stout dark is an understatement. This beer makes Lord Voldemort seem like an innocent little schoolgirl. (I know, I know... sorry about the Harry Potter reference. I'll try to keep them to a minimum). This stout was as smooth as velvet from the time is was poured into the glass, until the last sip was gone from the glass. Lion Stout feels especially smooth and creamy, even for a stout. I loved this beer, but I realize that it's not for everybody. If you like stouts like Guinness or Smithwicks, don't be afraid to give this little Sri Lankan stout a try. Just don't be surprised by the tuft of hair that mysteriously sprouts up on your chest, because this is a man's beer.



Seiradewa! (cheers in Sinhalese)
Ian

http://www.lionbeer.com

No comments: