Friday, February 27, 2009

February 22, 2009: Gulden Draak





Last night I decided to drink half a gallon of beer to see how my body would handle it. After 64 oz. of beer, a couple of seven and sevens, a couple of shots of Maker's Mark and a few hours of drunken rambling late into the morning, my body is definitely feeling the strain today. When I was a younger man I felt invincible. I was known to polish of entire bottles of alcohol and still roll out of bed at seven in the morning to make it to work on time. Now if I have a couple of strong drinks, I'm almost guaranteed to be feeling the effects of it in one way or another the next day. Right now I've got a raging headache that feels like it's on the brink of turning into an aneurysm. The absolute last thing that I want to do right now is drink a beer. But as we always say here at 365brews.com, the show must go on, no matter what. If I'm gonna force myself to choke down a beer right now, it's gotta be worth the effort. That's why I've chose Gulden Draak for my brew this evening.

The first, most distinctive feature of this beer is the white bottle that it comes in. It's rare to find a beer that is bottled in a non-transparent glass, and it makes the beer feel a bit classier because it's clearly more expensive. The white bottle makes Gulden Draak seem like more of a mystery. Is it light, is it dark...who knows? You won't find out what you've got inside until you crack this puppy open and see for yourself. To my great delight, Gulden Draak was a dark, full bodied Belgian ale that looked and smelled like absolute perfection. With a quality ale like Gulden Draak, the pictures don't lie. This beer had probably the most perfect and amazing head that I've across during my first two months of the 365brews project. I think what I liked most about this beer was the simple way that it balanced complex flavor, with a high volume of alcohol. Golden Draak combined the flavors of sweetness and malts to make a very smooth and mild ale that satisfied to the last drop. It's rare to find this brew on tap unless you're at some kind of Belgian pub but if you can find it, get out there and enjoy it.

A votre sante and Op uw gezondheid!
Ian

http://www.vansteenberge.com/

No comments: