Friday, May 1, 2009

April 22, 2009: Shark Attack



For the first time in the history of the 365brews project to date, I am at a loss for words. Tonight's beer is called Shark Attack from the Port Brewing Company. With a name like Shark Attack, you'd expect something really kick ass right? Wrong. Shark Attack is just another faceless microbrewed red ale in a sea of other microbrewed red ales. There's nothing great about this beer. No wow factor. Nothing that really grabbed me or would make me want to spend my money on this one again. Shark Attack is a full bodied red ale that's a little on the heavy side for a red ale. It doesn't really help that I had a very similar red ale last night, both on the recommendation of a local shop owner. I've always been a big fan of red ales, but after trying Mermaid's Red and Shark Attack back to back, I think I need to take a break for a while. It's not my intention to drag the good name of Port Brewing Company through the mud, I just thought that their version of the red ale was bland, predictable and ultimately, not that great. If you like red ales there are at least a dozen that I would recommend to you over Shark Attack. My advice: stay out of the water and avoid a Shark Attack.

Cheers,
Ian

http://www.portbrewing.com/

No comments: