Friday, May 15, 2009

May 5, 2009: Pacifico




i Hola Mis Amigos !

If Americans are great at one thing, it's gotta be celebrating the holidays of other nations by making them our own a adding as much alcohol as possible. Unlike many of our European counterparts, America is a nation full of people who need an excuse to drink. It's not really socially acceptable in most parts of America to go out on your typical tuesday night and get plastered with your mates. But if you throw in a birthday, holiday or sporting event, well then it's open season! This is why holidays like Cinco De Mayo have become so popular here in the states.

I, for example, have exactly 0% hispanic blood running through my veins. I have no reason to celebrate the victory of the Mexican army over French at Puebla on May 5th, 1862. (No, contrary to popular belief Cinco De Mayo is not the Mexican Independence day, which is actually in September). But you can bet that most years on May 5th I'm bellying up to the bar with the rest of southern California with a margarita on the rocks with no salt. Guilty as charged, I love an excuse to get drunk as much as the next man. However, since I've started the 365brews project my philosophy about drinking has changed a bit. Who says I can't get drunk on a random tuesday for no reason? Who says drinking should be reserved for holidays or sporting events? I've learned that when you feel like having a beer, just get out there and get a freakin' beer. It's not rocket science; if you're a legal, tax paying free American, then you have the right to get beligerantly drunk on any night of the week (as long as you are willing to hire a cab or hunt down a designated driver).

Because of my newfound philosophy about inebriation, I've decided to forego the predictable scenario of visiting some little mexican bar or taquieria for a cerveza. Forget that! I'm still going to celebrate cinco de mayo with a nice cold Pacifico, but I'm going to do it in a pair of pajamas from the comfort of my own home. I know, I know, cervezas aren't really my thing and I've been honest about my dislike for most Mexican style beers right from the get go, but I have to admit that Pacifico is probably the best of the bunch in my opinion. Sure, when you compare Pacifico to other lagers and pilsners it doesn't quite stack up, but that's not what this beer is about.

This is a beer that is constantly getting slammed by other beer nerds for being boring, uninspired, bland or watery, but I'm always a bit baffled by these kinds of reviews for Pacifico. Clearly Pacifico isn't trying to do anything innovative or creative with their beer, because that is not what this beer is about. Pacifico is all about kicking back, throwing a steak on the grill, taking a dip in the pool, and just enjoying a good time. In my humble opinion, there aren't many better party beers than Pacifico because I know I can drink a lot of without getting too full, or getting too sick of the taste. Pacifico won't be my first choice on most occasions, but when the time is absolutely right, there is no better cerveza for the money.



If you like Mexican beers and haven't yet tried this one, smack yourself for being an idiot and try it!

Salud!
Ian

No comments: