Monday, May 11, 2009

April 30, 2009: Capistrano Brewing Co. Honey Beer




Tonight I went to a bar/club with some friends here in southern Orange County, which was pretty lame, even by Thursday night standards. Have you ever walked into a bar, and it seems like the music suddenly shuts off and suddenly all eyes in the room are fixed on you as you walk through the door? Sounds like something you would see in a movie, but that's basically what happened to us tonight. However, I decided not to let the awkwardness get to me, so I ordered a beer. I was disappointed to see only four beers on tap. Coors Light, Budweiser, Amstel Light, and some other beer I couldn't quite make out. Naturally I decided to go with the mystery beer that the bartender simply called "Honey Beer". After doing my research, I discovered that the mystery beer was actually Capistrano Brewing Co. Honey Beer, brewed locally in San Juan Capistrano, California. I've also been a huge proponent of supporting local businesses, so I was more than happy to try Capistrano Brewing Co. Honey Beer. Unfortunately, this beer comes from a nearly microscopic brewery with almost no exposure outside of southern Orange County, so I wasn't able to turn up much about this beer as far as history or origin. What I can tell you is that there is a definite sweet honey flavor to this beer. It's not exaclty like scooping a handful of honey straight from a beehive, but Capistrano Brewing Co.'s Honey Beer was clearly a bit sweeter than your average lager. And it wasn't just a malty sweetness that you find in many beers, there was a different sort of sweetness to this beer that made Capistrano Brewing Co.'s Honey Beer very light, refreshing and palatable. This beer is a great choice for someone who likes the occaisional beer, but wishes they could find something with just a bit more sweetness to it. Unless you live somewhere around the city of San Juan Capistrano, don't expect to ever find Capistrano Brewing Co.'s Honey Beer in any stores near you.

Cheers,
Ian

No comments: