Sunday, May 31, 2009

May 11, 2009: Downtown Brown




Short post for tonight because I'm frustrated with my computer and would sooner throw it through a window than sit here and write about beer. Tonight's beer is another from Lost Coast Brewery called Downtown Brown. One of the things that I love about this brewery is the interesting artwork that they incorporate into the label of each of their beers. Downtown Brown features a handsome lad in a suit, as seen through the eyes of an artist like Picasso. You can't see this beer on the shelf and not be drawn to it in some way. The bright and vibrant colors just seem to scream out "hey buddy, drink me!", so they way I see it, I had little choice about which beer I would drink tonight. Downtown Brown pours a nice shade of medium brown, with a little hint of red to the discerning eye. Scents of caramel, nuts and sweet malt are apparent right away, and these scents translate well into the flavor of Downtown Brown. Brown ales should be a fine balance of sweet malt and bitter ale flavors, and Downtown Brown has found a pretty good niche in my opinion. This one isn't my favorite beer that Lost Coast Ale has to offer, but if you are into brown ales, you can't go wrong with this one. I paired Downtown Brown with a store bought pizza, and the two complimented each other exceedingly well.

Cheers,
Ian

http://www.lostcoast.com/

P.S. Happy Birthday Dad!

No comments: