Saturday, May 9, 2009

April 29, 2009: Baltika 6




Ok, for those of you who have been keeping track at home so far, I've tried three different beer from the Baltika brand so far. Two of the three I really liked, but the third one didn't really do anything for me. Tonight we've got another one, Baltika 6, and I was anxious to see how this one stacked up against the others. Baltika 6 follows the standard format of most porters. It has a nice, rich brown color, full body with a so-so head that dissipates pretty quickly. For me, porters need to have the right combination of bitter ale taste, with just a hint of sweetness from the malt. Baltika 6 met most of my criteria for a good porter, but only just. The whole time that I was drinking Baltika 6, I was comparing to some of my favorite porters, and it didn't exactly make the grade. That's not to say that Baltika 6 is a bad beer, because it's not. I actually really enjoyed Baltika 6 a lot, but for my money there are a lot of other porters that I would choose for this one. But if you want to try Russia's take on an English classic, Baltika 6 is pretty smooth and not a bad drink. I think I'll add this one to the list of good Baltikas, because even though it wasn't some kind of revolutionary take on the porter, there isn't really much to criticize.

Budem zdorovy!
Ian

www.Baltikabeer.com

No comments: