Friday, April 17, 2009

April 10, 2009: Torrey Pines IPA




As you can probably tell from the archives of photos of me on this website, I'm not exactly a skinny dude. To be quite honest, I've been a hulking beast of a man since my senior year of high school several years ago. Moderation hasn't been a part of my vocabulary for a long time, and I've always had a taste for most of the things that doctors warn you to stay away from. Call me simple or old fashioned, but I'm perfectly happy eating pizza and drinking a nice beer. Tonight's beer is called Torrey Pines IPA and it comes from Left Coast Brewery, which is the brewing operation of the locally famous Oggi's Pizza here in Southern California. A few weeks back I tried their Belgian style tripel ale which I was less than fond of, so I had some reservations about the Torrey IPines PA right from the start. I'm happy to say that I was pleasantly surprised by the Torrey Pines IPA, which in my opinion was better than it's label mate Asylum by leaps and bounds. The most important part of a quality IPA is an excessive amount of hops to create an intensely bitter beer. Torrey Pines IPA was so strongly bitter that I found myself salvating involutarily after each sip, almost as if my taste buds were working overtime, and didn't know how to react to this beer. If you're a fan of the popular IPA's like Sierra Nevada, I recommend that you find you closest Oggi's pizza, order their delicious "Heavyweight" pizza, and a pitcher of Torrey Pines IPA. If you like your beer extra bitter, crisp with carbonation and a dry finish, then Torrey Pines IPA is the right beer for you.

Cheers,
Ian

http://www.oggis.com/Beer/TorreyPines.htm

P.S. Drunk driving kills. Sometimes it takes that loss of someone special to remember the simple fact that alcohol and driving don't mix. Last night major league baseball lost one of it's brightest young stars, Nick Adenhart of the Los Angeles Angels in a tragic car accident with a drunk driver. While the loss of such a promising young talent always seems hard to understand, the fact that his life was forfeited at the hands of someone who abused alcohol and decided to drive seems downright senseless. We all know when we've had too much to drink, and it's our responsibility to never put the lives of others at risk when we decide to do something idiotic like drinking and driving. An expensive cab fare is nothing compared to a life that will be lost forever. Please, think before you drink and drive!

R.I.P. Nick Adenhart 8/24/86- 4/9/09

No comments: