Friday, April 3, 2009

March 28,2009: Tucher




March has been a great month for me and the 365brews projects. If you read through some of my latest posts, it's hard to find a beer that I really didn't care for. I've become a bit spoiled by all of the decent beers that I've enjoyed over the last couple of weeks, and I really wasn't prepared to try a bad beer. Unfortunately, this is the part of the post where my beer for the night Tucher comes in. I had a hunch about this beer right away. I can't quite put my finger on what it was about this beer that made me suspicious, but I definitely had a feeling that I was going to be let down by Tucher. Maybe it was the completely boring and underwhelming presentation of the bottle that turned me off, but I just couldn't get excited about this one and it's been wallowing in my fridge for almost two weeks now.

The first thing that I always do when I pour a beer into a glass is stick my nose in deep and inhale the scent. In the case of Tucher, I wish I would have skipped this part of my ritual, because the smell was particularly unpleasant. The thing about Tucher was that it just didn't smell clean to me. There was a sort of musky, mildewy dampness to the aroma of this beer that was exactly appetizaing. The aroma of a beer is more often than not a sign of things to come, and it wasn't looking good for Tucher. Fortunately, the taste of Tucher was a step up from the scent, but not by much. The only really flavors that I was able to pick up with this one were grain and a faint hint of banana; other than that there was not much to speak of.

What surprised me most about Tucher was the reviews that it's gotten from other critics and beer enthusists on the internet. Tasting a beer is never an exact science because obviously each persons taste buds work differently, so there are a few websites that I like to consult every now and then when I'm having trouble describing a beer. Tucher received almost completely positive feedback across the board, which I found mind boggling. I've tried at least thirty different kinds of hefeweizen and Tucher was easily the worst of the bunch in my book. After reading other people reviews of Tucher, it made me rethink my position on this beer. Was I being to critical? Maybe my sense of taste has become dulled by all the beer I've been drinking?........ No, I'm right and they're all wrong. Pass on the Tucher, that's my advice.

Prost!
Ian

http://www.tucher.de/home.html

P.S. the best thing about this beer may be the sweet, sexy, baby-making music playing in the background on their website. Check it out.

No comments: