Tuesday, April 21, 2009

April 14, 2009: Steigl




Sometimes we all just have one of those days. You know, one of those days where nothing goes your way and you wonder why you even got out of bed in the first place. One of those days where you just feel too tired to do anything when you get home from work. A day where you've sweated your ass off, busted your hump, and have to come home and look forward to repeating the process all over again the next day. Yes sir, I think we've all been there before, and that's how I feel tonight. I don't want to drink a beer. I don't want to do my homework. I don't want to think about getting a new job. I just want to dissolve into the couch for a few hours and forget about my life for a while.

It's not that my life is all that bad and I'm looking for some kind of escape, it's just one of those days. There's a dirty little secret about me that only my family and closest friends know about me; I'm a closet bubblebather. It may be hard to imagine a man of my size and general oafishness indulging in a bubble bath, but for me it's the perfect remedy for a long and weary day. I just set that water to come out piping hot, dust off one of the various novels that I'm undoubtedly reading at any given time, and forget my troubles for a little while. Tonight, I'm combining the therapeutic benefits of a bubble bath with the intoxicating benefits of alcohol, by drinking a bottle of Stiegl in the bath.

I know, it sounds and looks extremely odd to many of you out there, but this is the best way that I know of to unwind after a long day. Stiegl is an Austrian ale, but it might be more accurate to say that Stiegl is The Austrian beer. Brewed in the city of Salzburg, this beer is about as Austrian as it gets, so don't make the mistake of calling it a German beer. Between you and I however, there's really not much difference between Stiegl and the litany of other German/Austrian/Bavarian style ales out there. For me, Stiegl is just another one of the growing list of beers that land somewhere between pretty good and pretty bad. Stiegl pours a clean golden yellow and has the familiar floral scent that can be expected from most beers brewed with Bavarian or Czech hops. Nothing groundbreaking about this beer, but when you've had a hard day and your relaxing in the bath with a good book, Stiegl hits the spot as well as any other beer could have hoped to.

Prost!
Ian

http://www.stiegl.at/

No comments: