Wednesday, April 22, 2009

April 17, 2009: Paulaner




Tonight's post is going to be a short one, because it's yet another Hefeweizen for me and honestly that's not what I really want to spend my time writing about. However, this is nothing against Paulaner(my beer for tonight); I'm just kind of grumpy and don't feel like writing much. Paulaner is a fine example of what a Hef should taste like. Like many of it's German counterparts, Paulaner has been brewed for almost 500 years. In the heart of Munich, the monks who were members of the order of Saint Francis of Paola began brewing in 1634, and it's still brewed there to this day. Excellent bouquet of floral hops and sweet grain unfold when you pour it in a glass, and the sweetness continues in the taste of this beer. A lot of people are tempted to put little slices of citrus fruit in their hefs, but to my readers out there I say don't do it if you're drinking Paulaner. This is a fine example of a traditional German hefeweizen, and adding fruit to the drink would take away from the greatness of the beer. There's a sort of intangible quality about authentic German hefeweizens that make them taste better to me than their American counterparts. Maybe it's the hops. Maybe it's just all in my head. All I know is that for my money, a traditional German hefeweizen like Paulaner trumps the upstart American brands anyday.

Prost!
Ian

No comments: