Tuesday, April 7, 2009

March 31, 2009: Arrogant Bastard Ale




Well, it's the last day of March and almost as soon as it's begun, the 365brews project has passed the 1/4 milestone. It's hard to believe how quickly these first three months have gone by, but then again, drinking beer every night will do that to you. I've had the opportunity to try all different kinds of beer from some pretty exotic places around the globe, but tonight's beer shares a special place in the annals of brewing history. I'm speaking of course about the one and only Arrogant Bastard Ale.
If there has ever been a beer with a better name in the history of the world, I have yet to discover it. the name Arrogant Bastard just works on so many levels. If I were ever fortunate enough to open up my own brewery (maybe one day), you can bet that it would have an original, kick ass name like Arrogant Bastard. The people over at Stone Breweries must be absolute geniuses, because calling your beer something completely absurd like Arrogant Bastard has the effect of making a lasting impression on beer drinkers. Throughout the course of this project, the one beer that people most often ask if I have ever tried is Arrogant Bastard, hands down. It's not because Arrogant Bastard is such a popular brew that people can't stop talking about it, it's because Arrogant Bastard is such a shockingly funny and irreverent name that people really seem to get a kick out of it. I'm in love with the name of this beer myself, just look at this paragraph, I've written the name Arrogant Bastard six times already (well, seven times now).

Before I ever tasted this beer for myself, I assumed that the name Arrogant Bastard was simply a gimmick to get people to drink yet another microbrewed ale. If most people are like me, then they are willing to take a chance on an unknown beer as long as it has a catchy or unique name. However, I cannot stress enough that Arrogant Bastard is a quality ale that is able to stand on it's taste alone. It could be called Dog Piss Ale and I would still love this beer. (Hey...... Dog Piss. That's got a nice ring to it. Looks like I've got the name for my own beer.). All kidding aside though, this is a great beer.

The beautiful head of Arrogant Bastard when poured into a glass is the first sign of what a treat this beer is to drink. The malty and hoppy aroma of this beer makes it a really complex and interesting brew. Notes of honey, clove, vanilla and wheat give Arrogant Bastard a very distinct and down right tasty flavor. There's just an overall richness to this beer that's very apparent in the color, scent, mouthfeel and taste. What I love most about this beer though is it pull-no-punches attitude. The brewers at Stone know that they've created a premium quality microbrew, and they're not afraid to let you know about it. I can't really find any big faults with this beer, which is surprising given my penchant for nit picking at most beers. This beer is readily available in Southern California, and becoming more and more available throughout the US. If you happen to find this one on tap at the bar, order with confidence, and make sure the bartender understands that you're trying to order a beer and not trying to insult him.

Cheers,
Ian

http://www.arrogantbastard.com/

No comments: