Friday, April 3, 2009

March 29, 2009: Golden Pheasant




Being an absolute, unabashed nerd, it's no surprise that I've always been somewhat fascinated by the mating rituals of birds. Particularly exotic birds. I know what you're probably thinking, but don't judge me. There's no way that you can tell me you haven't been flipping around the channels late at night, when you stumble across the discovery and see a pair of weird looking birds taking part in some sort of bizarre dance meant to attract potential mates. God, what if we as humans had it this easy? What if you could walk into a bar wearing a fluorescent yellow, orange and teal shirt and leave with any girl in the bar? None of the chit-chat, small talk bullshit; you just roll up in your fancy day-glow shirt and render the females speechless. Tonight's beer is called Golden Pheasant, which would be more accurately named if it was called trippy, multi-colored, super rainbow pheasant. I googled an image of this bird out of curiosity and I was taken aback by the shocking red, orange and yellow plumage of this bird. It's easy to see why the brewers of Golden Pheasant picked such an interesting bird as their namesake and mascot.

Golden Pheasant pours and impressive dark orange-gold and looks mouthwatering from the first drop. This beer looked so good in the glass that I was hesitant to actually drink it, for fear of destroying it's natural pristine beauty. Golden Pheasant is a pretty evenly brewed, medium bodied blonde ale with notes floral hops and herbs throughout the beer. I found Golden Pheasant to be pretty typical of most beers from this region of Europe, which makes sense because most of them share the same variety of Czech hops in the brewing process. I was a little disappointed by the lack of originality in the taste of Golden Pheasant, which didn't have the spiciness of herbiness of some of it's closest rivals, but it was pretty enjoyable for the most part. This one is definitely a worthy beer, but I won't be surprised if I don't remember it in four or five months.

Na zdravie!
Ian

I couldn't find a website for this one. Sorry! Get with the times Golden Pheasant!!

No comments: