Thursday, March 5, 2009

February 28, 2009: Red Tale Ale




As I'm growing older, I'm starting to realize how different my childhood was from many of my friends. I spent so much time outdoors as a kid that I was practically a feral child. My toys were dead branches and dirt clods, my jungle gym the oak trees that grew in the ravine not too far from my home. Sometimes I miss those lazy summer days that were full of adventure, mischief and good old fashioned fun. I guess I just assumed that most boys were like my brothers and I when we were young, but I was surprised to find that many of my friends wasted so much of their childhood sat in front of the T.V. or a video game instead of wading through creeks and turning sticks into swords. Sure, I spent my fair share of hours after school watching T.V., but I think I was happiest on a warm sunny day, throwing rocks, hunting lizards, and just be outdoors. My Mom shared an affinity for nature as well, and I grew up with a first hand education in the native flora and fauna of southern California. To this day I can still name most native species of bird, rodent and reptile in Orange County. My favorite animal was the red tailed hawk. I used to go on hikes with my Mom, and more often than not we were able to spot a red tail soaring in the sky somewhere in the distance, scanning the thick brush for a meal. The sight of that majestic bird flying freely in the wind is a powerful image that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

My beer for tonight is called Red Tail Ale and comes from Mendocino, California. The name of this beer drew me in for obvious reasons, and I was excited to taste this one from the get-go. Not only does it capitalize on my boyish love for the red tailed hawk, but as you were probably able to gather it's a red ale. Red ales use small amounts of roasted barley to achieve that signature reddish caramel color and distinct flavor. Red Tail Ale is an example of a microbrewery doing all the right things in the brewing process. The Mendocino brewing company didn't set out to reinvent the wheel with Red Tail Ale; they simply stuck to the time tested formula of red ales before it, with great results. Decent lacing and a medium thin head make this beer go down very smoothly. Red Tail Ale balanced the flavors of malt and hops nicely to create a very polished, caramel flavor. Overall Red Tail Ale was a decent beer that I will almost certainly drink again. Maybe next time I will take a hike first though and relive the golden of my childhood.

Cheers,
Ian

http://www.mendobrew.com/brews/red_tail.html

No comments: