Sunday, March 29, 2009

March 24, 2009: Lost Coast Raspberry Brown Ale




When you really think about it, it's difficult to comprehend how our senses really work. We experience the world through what we see, hear, smell, taste and feel, but we never really think about how these processes occur. The human brain is such a complex piece of work that it's almost a futile effort to comprehend how it functions the way it does. I mean, have you ever really thought about how your sense of smell works? How the human mind is able to sense odors and interpret them chemically into smells is beyond what I can personally fathom. Tonight I'm Drinking Lost Coast Raspberry Brown Ale, and it is truly a unique sensory delight. (Don't worry, I did my homework this time and read the label properly and verified that Raspberry Brown is indeed brewed by Lost Coast Breweries in Eureka, Ca, and not by Left Coast Brewery in San Clemente).

Only one word came to mind when I popped the cap off of this bottle; WHOA! I was absolutely knocked off of my heels by the intense fruity aroma of Lost Coast Raspberry Brown Ale. Intense is the perfect word to describe the raspberry scent that emanates from this beer, but I use the word intense in the most positive sense of the word. The smell of fresh raspberries absolutely radiates from the glass when you pour Lost Coast Raspberry Brown Ale, and my mouth was literally watering as I held the glass to my nose and inhaled it. We've all heard that taste and smell are the most closely linked of all senses, so logic would dictate that the strong essence of raspberry in the aroma of this beer would undoubtedly translate in the taste of this beer, which it most certainly did. If you've never tried Lost Coast Raspberry Brown Ale, picture a craft brewed brown ale similar to the famous Newcastle Brown, and then add a berry twist and you've got Lost Coast Raspberry Brown. I've gone on record stating my dislike of beers with added flavors, but this beer made me revise my position a bit. When foreign flavors are introduced to beers in an appropriate way, they often have the effect of complimenting the flavor of the beer itself. Lost Coast Raspberry Brown Ale is perfect for people who like an interesting, fruity twist on their beers, but don't want to sacrifice quality. The caramel and dark chocolate hops that go into this beer create a classic style brown ale that is both smooth and rich. Not a beer that I would drink religiously, but definitely a worthy and unique effort from Lost Coast Brewery. Well Done!

Cheers,
Ian

http://www.lostcoast.com/

No comments: