Tuesday, March 24, 2009

March 19, 2009: St. Peter's Cream Stout




St. Peter, disciple of Jesus Christ. Known as "The Rock" in the early days of the Christian church, St. Peter is one of the most important figures in the history of Christianity. The bible tells us that in the days that Christ lived on earth, Peter was one of Jesus' most ardent and hardworking followers. St. Peter is commonly depicted as the keeper of the pearly gates, the man who decides which of us sinners is worthy of eternal paradise. While this representation of Peter is not entirely factual, it's a fitting post for a man that was so committed to Jesus' teachings that he paid for it with his life. Tonight's beer is called St. Peter's Cream Stout, and it's a fitting tribute to a man that led an exemplary life of dedicated faith and service.

I am admittedly an unabashed fan of almost all stouts. For me, stout is probably the closest that the beverage beer has ever come to perfection. Because of my love for the stout, I'm usually especially critical of new stouts when I try them for the first time. I tried to find fault with St. Peter's Cream Stout, so I could sound like some stuck up, know-it-all beer snob who could thumb my nose at yet another imitator, but I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. St. Peter's Cream Stout poured a mouth watering shade of dark chocolate brown which immediately peaked my interest. Combined with an ultra thick, sepia brown head and carbonation at almost nil, I was nearly in beer heaven. St. Peter's Cream Stout has flavors of nut, coffee and chocolate that wrap your taste buds up in creamy bliss. If you're a fan of Guinness, you will absolutely love St. Peter's Cream Stout who have done a noble job of creating a very worthy product in the space of less than fifteen years. Bravo St. Peter's!

Cheers!
Ian

http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk

No comments: