Friday, March 6, 2009

March 3, 2009: Celebrator





So far the 365brews project has been an overwhelmingly positive experience for the most part. There have been some unintended consequences that have sprung up however that I wasn't really prepared for. When I first came up with the idea of drinking a different beer every day for an entire year, I was excited about all of the possibilities. I didn't think too much about how I would go about choosing which beers I would drink each night; the whole thing was an open book and I didn't really put any restrictions on the beers that I was willing to try. After trying my fair share of bad beers over the last two months, I've become a bit more thorough in my selection process. That's not to say that I'm not willing to try new and exotic beers. I'm always on the lookout for new brews to add to the waiting list, and I'll drink almost anything at least once, no matter how bad it's reputation is. I just don't get my hopes up anymore when I'm trying a new beer. I try my best not to get sucked in by clever product naming, alluring packaging or the recommendations of the staff at Bevmo!, which are usually worthless. I've become so jaded by the process of this project that it takes something really special to get me amped up about a beer anymore. There needs to be something about the beer that catches my eye and draws me in; something like an interesting bottle cap or........ a free charm.

Tonight i'm drinking Ayinger's Celebrator doppelbock, which just so happens to come with a free charm attached to the neck of the beer. The label of Ayinger for some inexplicable reason has two long horned goats facing eachother, and the charm that comes with the beers is a replica of one of these goats. I've never, ever, ever had a beer that gave me any sort of keepsake besides the standard bottle cap, so I'm really excited about my free goat charm. I don't really know what I'm going to do with the thing, but what the hell, it's free and it looks cool, that's good enough for me. To me, adding the charm to the beer says that the brewers at Ayinger wanted to leave their customers with something to remember their glass of Celebrator by. If they think that Celebrator is worthy of keeping a memento to commemorate the drinking experience, surely the brewers at Ayinger must feel that they've produced a superior product. Let's see if they were right....

I always love that way that a dopplebock looks when you pour it slowly into a glass. They just always seem to pour so much more gracefully than highly carbonated lagers, and the feeling of appeciation I feel when i watch that thin, almond colored head settling smoothly into the body of the beer is almost indescribable. I'm such an absolute geek about beer that I really do savor the process of pouring a quality ale, letting it settle until it is just right, sticking my nose into the glass and inhaling the thick, complex aromas and sipping the contents of the glass nice and slowly. Celebrator was one of those beers that just looked like velvet chocolate when I poured it into the glass. I could actually feel my salivary glandstingling and kicking into high gear when I smelled my glass of Celebrator. It has a thick, fruity scent that reminded me of sweet raisins or prunes. The best way that I could describe Celebrator's taste is robust and lively. There were so many complex flavors in this dopplebock that I was truly intrigued by the entire pint. A creamy eggshell white head and full lacing make this beer go down exceptionally smoothly. The name Celebrator seems very apt for this brew, because I could easily see myself raising a glass with some good friends and toasting the fullness of life. Overall, Celebrator is a great beer with a lot to offer the beer fan who prefers something thick and substantial. Try this beer!

Prost,
Ian

http://www.ayinger-bier.de/

No comments: