Sunday, March 8, 2009

March 6, 2009: Baltika 4




In my own little, self-indulgent mind, I like to consider myself to be somewhat of an amateur beer expert. Put quite simply in layman's terms, I like to think that I know my shit when it comes to ales, lagers, porters and stouts. What I've become increasingly aware of however as the 365brews project progresses is that I am definitely not an expert when it comes to the business aspect of brewing that has become so important to the beer world in the last century. To say that my business acumen is lacking would be the understatement of the year, but I like to think that I'm learning more and more each day that I choose to immerse myself in the lifestyle of the beer culture. I'm becoming more and more aware of just how critical marketing is to the financial success of a brewery. After all, if the consumer doesn't know your product, how can you expect to sell anything?

Tonight's beer Baltika 4 is a wonderful example of how marketing can boost a beer's popularity with consumers. Sound familiar? Last month I sample a beer from the same company called Baltika 3. Baltika 3 was labeled as a classic lager, whereas Baltika 4 has been designated as a dark lager. Almost every brewery around the world has a wide selection of beers for the consumer to choose from. The real genius from the marketing guys at Baltika comes from it's simple habit of numbering its different styles of beer. Ranging form Baltika 1 to Baltika 9, the brewers at one of Russia's largest beer company have devised a simple way to spread the appeal of their entire line of products. For example, I've already tried Baltika 3 which I enjoyed. Tonight I'm having Baltika 4, which I'm also enjoying. If I like Baltika 3 and 4, surely I must try the rest of the numbers that I haven't had yet. Baltika has almost guaranteed that at least one person will buy at least 9 differents beers from them, at the very least. Multiple this number by several thousand or even million, and what you've got is a lot of beer sold. Pure, simplistic genius.

And as long as we're on the subject of marketing, I would be remiss if I didn't mention the Baltika website. With scantily clad models, hip young twenty-somethings dressed in the coolest clothing, and a tropical island themes that resembles Jamaica more than Russia, Baltika have clearly and relentlessly locked onto their target audience. Drinking a beer is always more appealing when it's being sold to you by a woman in a wet t-shirt, which Baltika has obviously recognized and exploited. Good Stuff.

As for the beer itself? Pretty Good. It reminds me a lot of a beer like Amber bock, without the real quality and character. Baltika 4 is a great choice for people who like lagers, but don't like the skunky taste of traditional European style lagers. I'm not sure if I will be drinking the Baltika 4 anytime soon, but I can almost guarantee that I will drink every single beer that Baltika makes before the 365brews project is over.

Budem zdorovy!
Ian

http://baltikabeer.com/

No comments: