Monday, March 23, 2009

March 17, 2009: Guinness




Ah, St. Patrick's day! Is there any date on the calendar that hopeless drunks look forward to more? Being of Irish descent, I take special pride in the one day of the year that everyone else wishes they were Irish like me (To be honest, I'm only about a quarter Irish, but who's counting?). My father once told me that new year's eve and St. Patrick's day are what real drinkers call amateur night, because you get all rookies out there in the bars trying in vain to keep up with the experts. This is just one of the reasons that I actually don't like going out to the bars on St. Patrick's day. In my home town, there are two "Irish" pubs that are known to be hot spots on St. Pat's day. I use the term "Irish" loosely here, because just having a green sign and an Irish name doesn't make your pub Irish. These two bars, which are actually the same bar just in two different locations, are literally swarming with halfwit frat boys, bloated middle aged men and neglected mom's who are almost certainly up to no good on a Tuesday night St. Patty's day. While this prospect might sound appealing to some of you out there, for me it sounds more like slow, torturous death. I'm not going to follow the status quo tonight and join the queue at the Irish bar that wraps around the corner. Instead, I've opted to join some friends at a quieter restaurant bar just down the street that we'll call T.G.I. Tuesday's.

While I haven't given into the pressure to spend my hard earned money at an overcrowded and overpriced Irish themed bar tonight, it would be completely remiss and irresponsible of me if I didn't indulge in Ireland's most beloved stout, Guinness. I've been a little hesitant to write about my experience with Guinness so far, because to me it seems like a little league pitcher trying to critique the performance of a legend like Nolan Ryan. However, the 365brews project is simply one man's take on the gigantic universe of brewing culture, so fearlessly I shall sojourn on to spread my word to the people of the world.

Two years ago, I was lucky enough to visit Ireland for the first time. Ireland is a land of deep history, intrigue and tradition that every able bodied person should make the effort to visit at least once in their lifetime. I had the chance to experience so many different parts of Ireland, but for me, the most important stop that we made on this trip was to St. James' Gate in Dublin, home of the world famous Guinness brewery. I can say without an ounce of doubt that the number one destination for any tourist to Dublin is the Guinness Storehouse, for a number of reasons. St. James' Gate brewery is absolutely massive, and it feels a bit intimidating when you walk down the dark cobbled alley that leads to it. The aged look of the buildings belie the true modern beauty of the brewery, with five levels of crisscrossing escalators that lead ultimately to the world famous gravity bar which provides a 360 degree view of Dublin City and the surrounding areas. If you've ever been curious about the labor intensive process of creating a fine beer, then the Guinness Storehouse is your Mecca. The self guided tour leads you through the fascinating step by step process of how Guinness is made, but understandably omits certain key ingredients for the sake of secrecy. When you've finished the tour, you're rewarded with a free pint of Guinness at the gravity bar, which is pulled perfectly every time, with a perfectly crafted shamrock styled right into the ultra creamy head.

If you're from another planet and have for one reason or another never had the pleasure of drinking a Guinness, then you have been depriving yourself of the very nectar of the Gods. I promise you that you have never ever tasted a beer that is quite like Guinness. To call it smooth is an understatement, as there is almost no carbonation to speak of in a proper pint of Guinness. The deep color of dark chocolate or charred wood, this is not your Nancy-boy pilsner. Although Guinness has been called "steak in a glass" by some, Guinness is not actually that heavy when you compare it to some of the more extreme stouts that have come along in recent years and tried to emulate Guinness' recipe for success. I won't presume to try to explain the complex flavors of Guinness, but I will say that Guinness is the beer to drink if you like your ales bitter, smooth and creamy. Tonight I've paired my pint of Guinness with another Irish favorite, Jameson whiskey on the rocks to combine for maximum drunken debauchery.

Slainte,
Ian

www.Guinness.com

No comments: