Saturday, January 3, 2009

365 Beers


In my 25 years on this earth, one of the most certain things that I have learned about human nature is that almost anyone who is worth talking to is an absolute nerd about a few things in their life. We all have some sort of obsession in our lives that others can't understand, fathom or sometimes even tolerate. My brother is in love with maps and geography, my best friend is into vinyl toys, art and milk & cookies, and I'm sad to say that my girlfriend has an embarrassing infatuation with Stephanie Meyer's sappy teenage vampire romance Twilight.

Me? I'm an absolute nerd about 3 things in my life; soccer, writing, and, you guessed it..... beer. Ever since I had my first beer at the age of 15 and threw up in the back of my brother's Nissan Stanza, I've had a particularly unhealthy love of beer. Ten years later and about 80 lbs. heavier, I've had the opportunity to do a bit of traveling and enjoy all kinds of beers from all over the world. I don't just enjoy drinking a nice cold beer, I live it. I get strange looks when I hold my glass up to the light and inspect the color and clarity of my brew. I never take a sip from the glass without sticking my nose in it first and inhaling the rich aroma. If I'm trying a new beer for the first time, I always take a big gulp and swish it around in my mouth from about 30 seconds to take in the complete flavor and essence of the beer. As I'm typing this, I'm aware about how ridiculously nerdy this sounds, but I can't help it, beer is my passion.

The purpose of this blog is remarkably simple. I wanted to create a project that combined my insane love for beer with my passion for writing. As I've grown older, seen a bit of the world and hopefully broadened my horizons just a little bit, I've come to realize what a huge world we live in, and how much more of it I want to take in before my time is up. So many beers and so little time, I wanted to find a way to indulge in my passion and experience something new at the same time. So, starting on new years day 2009, I will drink a different beer everyday, for 365 days. Each day of the year I will commit myself to doing whatever it takes to enjoy a different beer, and writing about the experience in this blog. I'm not claiming to be a beer expert by any means. I'm just a writer who found an a way to indulge in two of his guiltiest pleasures every day and get away with it. Lagers, Ales, Porters, Stouts, Pilners, Bocks, Pale ales, microbrews, seasonal beers; I love them all and this is my quest to try as many as I can in one year. Hopefully you'll enjoy the journey with me!

Cheers,

Ian

2 comments:

Ian said...

So.

I found out about this blog on Realbeer and I think it got the old spam label.

Meanwhile, I had to check it out, just to see, and I gotta say, nice job so far.

It's blogs like this that give ian's a good name.

-ian

William Nordmann said...

I did a similar project 2 years ago www.yearofbeer.com it was a good time drinking all the beer, but once it was over it was nice to not worry about drinking a beer everyday.