Sunday, January 4, 2009

January 2, 2009: Modelo Especial




Day Two: It's 11:30 am and there's not a single beer in the fridge. For someone who is planning to do this everyday, I'm starting to realize that I haven't exactly planned this all out very well. So I went to my local grocery store to find a can of whatever I could get my hands on, and what I found was a 22 oz. tall boy of a beer called Modelo Especial. I have to admit that I was less than enthused about this one, but it was the cheapest one I could find and I had never tried it before, so what the hell, why not?

I've never been a big cerveza fan, for a variety of reasons and Modelo Especial r
eminded me of every single one of those reasons. First of all it had the watered down taste of a Corona or Pacifico, but none of the appeal. I don't mind sipping on a Corona when it's like 100 degrees outside and I'm laying out at the beach. Modelo Especial seemed more like the kind of beer that the dishwashers at Chili's drink in the parking lot after hours. There was a particular skunkiness about Modelo Especial that you don't typically find in your higher quality cervezas, which made it almost undrinkable at times. My girlfriend and I had some friends over tonight and I kid you not, it took me maybe two hours to finish this beer. By the time I got to about nearly 3/4 of the way done with this beer, it had become warm, which seemed to magnify the skunky funkiness of it, so I just held my breath and charged that bad boy until it was gone. It's not the worst cerveza I've ever had, but it's up there. My advice: stick with Corona or Pacifico .


http://www.crownimportsllc.com/ourbrands/modelo.htm

No comments: