Tuesday, January 27, 2009

January 24, 2009: Dos Equis Lager




The unthinkable happened tonight. The absolute worst, most devastating, cruelest twist of fate for any beer lover to suffer; I drew the short stick and it was my turn to be the designated driver. No!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the harsh realities of living in southern Orange County is that if you and your mates want to go to a proper bar or club, you've got to drive at least ten to fifteen miles to the nether regions of the county that don't completely shut down after 9 p.m. every night. It's a Saturday night and it's time for me to pay my dues and be the chauffeur for the evening, which is fine because any of my friends will tell you, it doesn't happen much. Not to worry, dear readers. Your beloved hero from 365 brews found another way to alter his consciousness without overindulging in the booze, but that's another story for another day. The story for tonight is about the one beer I treated myself to tonight( Ok, ok....3 beers, but who's counting?), Dos Equis.

Dos Equis has long been one of the most popular choices among cerveza fans for a good reason; this is actually a damn good beer. One of my pet peeves about this beer however is the name. Anyone who has ever taken even the most rudimentary of Spanish classes learns that the letter X is pronounced AY-Keez. Pretty straight forward, no? But if you order a Dos AY-Keez at the bar, the bartender will stare at you like you're a member of the Taliban asking for weapons-grade plutonium on a U.S. military base. Somehow the name of this cerveza has succumbed to the forces of linguistic bastardization in popular American culture and is now known as Dos Eck-eez. Even my friend Crowe who speaks Spanish and whose entire family comes from Ecuador refers to this beer as Dos Eck-eez. However, I refuse to forfeit my linguistic principles and continue to refer to this quality beer by the name it deserves; Dos Ay-Keez!

Anyway, Sorry about the tangent, hope I didn't lose some of you with that rant. Dos Equis is a good choice for those of you out there that like a light tasting cerveza. Dos Equis is pretty refreshing and lacks the skunkiness that I detest in so many lower quality cervezas. If you're like me and prefer something a bit darker and heavier in taste, Dos Equis also makes an amber that is well worth a taste in its own right. For tonight I'm just drinking the standard lager, and in the middle of this hot, cramped, human herd of drunken debauchery that I can't fully appreciate tonight, Dos Equis is definitely hitting the spot. If you live in California, you can typically find this beer wherever beer is sold. If you live in other parts of the world, I'm not sure what your chances of getting your hands on some Dos Equis are, but it's a nice option if you can get it.

Salud!

Ian

P.S. Dos Equis has one of the best beer advertising campaigns in recent years with their "most interesting man in the world" series. You can find em on youtube if you've never seen them.

http://www.staythirstymyfriends.com/

No comments: