Saturday, January 3, 2009

January 1, 2009: Bud Light




So here we are. 2009 has finally come and it's time to finally embark on the epic drunken quest of 365 beers. I've been talking about it for weeks to anyone who will listen, plotting a course in my mind and dealing with all the naysayers and doubting Thomas' in my life. The general consensus among my friends and family is that I will either lose the will to complete this project , or that I will run out of new beers to try and/or money to fund my beer a day habit. Fuck em'. It's new years day and my resolution is to see this thing out until the bitter end, whether I like it or not. Come hell or high water, turbulent bowels or bloated liver, I'm going to drink a different beer every single day of 2009.

I woke up this morning and stared at the ceiling for a good ten minutes before I could work up the courage to sit up and see if the room was still spinning. Last night was new years eve and I must confess that I hit it pretty hard last night. Beer, vodka, whiskey, jaegermeister.... I probably should have planned this all out a bit better considering what I've been preparing to put my body through, but it's too late now. I feel like I've just eaten a steaming pile of dog shit and now I get to look forward to drinking some more! I can hardly contain my excitement!

I decided to start my first day of 365 beers with what has probably been the staple of my beer diet for the past 5 years, Bud Light. I know what you're probably thinking, how can someone who claims to be such a connoisseur of beers from around the world call such a bland domestic light beer as a staple? Well, the honest truth is that I am notoriously cheap and lazy. Would I love to drink Chimay or Arrogant Bastard Ale every time I felt like having a beer? You bet your ass I would. But seeing as I'm a college student who works a part time job and lives primarily off of my student loan and grant money, my options are usually somewhat limited. I can usually get a case of Bud Light at my local grocery store for anywhere from $11 to $15 dollars, whereas I'm lucky to pay $18 for a superior beer. For a starving college student like me, that $3 difference can be critical, especially if the designated driver for the evening is gracious enough to facilitate a Del Taco run at the end of the evening.

Well, what can be said about Bud Light that hasn't already been said before? Like most Americans, I've grown up being bombarded with the pervasive advertising campaigns of the Anheiser-Busch brewing company for most of my life. Budweiser is the this sort of mega-brand that dominates the beer culture in America. It's become a true icon of Americana, it's place among popular culture cemented forever by clever advertising and market saturation. It's latest marketing ploy describes Bud Light's superiority over lesser beers due to it's drinkability. Drinkability? Really? As ridiculous as the term drinkability sounds, they've actually got a point. In my humble opinion, Bud Light is hands down the most "drinkable" (I'm cringing as I'm typing that hideous word) among the big domestic light beers. In terms of taste, Bud Light is miles ahead of it's biggest competitors, Miller and Coors light. I guess the best way that I can explain it is that I like my beer to taste like an actual beer, not like someone poured half a glass of water in it. I'm not saying that Bud Light is the tastiest light beer that I've ever had, But for the price and the ease of access, it's a winner in my book. Tonight I had my Bud Light at California Pizza Kitchen with my girlfriend Quinn and our friend Crowe. It was a nice meal, nothing extraordinary, just good food, good conversation and an adequate beer. On a scale of one to ten, I'll give Bud Light a six, mainly because when I'm in a pinch and just need a beer right away, nine times out of ten I can find a BL at a relatively cheap price.


Cheers!



http://www.budlight.com/index.aspx

No comments: