Tuesday, January 6, 2009

January 6, 2009: Steinlager





New Zealand! Aotearoa the natives call it. Home of the Mowri people, 80's pop band Split Enz (Enz as opposed to ends, meant as a nod to their homeland, N.Z.), Lucy Lawless, and quite possibly the coolest nickname for a national sports team ever, the world famous All Blacks of rugby. Put quite simply, New Zealand is the kind of place that is so cool that it doesn't even know it's cool. That's pretty damn cool. Ever since watching the Lord of the Rings trilogy in highschool and being amazed by the almost surreal landscape of New Zealand, I've sworn to myself that one day I will find a way to visit the beautiful island. I've not made the trip yet, and sadly to say, drinking a glass of Steinlager is about as close as I'm going to come in a very, very long time.

Steinlager? Sounds German. That's what I thought the first time I bought a case of Steinlager at my local grocery store. I was wondering why there's a picture of emerald waves crashing majestically on craggy black rocks on a case of German beer. It wasn't until I read the fine print on the box that clearly stated that it was " New Zealand's finest lager". Those tricky Kiwis, trying to confuse me with their German sounding beer!

Anyway, New Zealand's not exactly known to be a powerhouse in the international beer game, but you wouldn't know it by drinking a Steinlager. In my opinion, the brewers at Steinlager have done almost everything right. Light on the tongue, little to no bitter after taste and a refreshing, surprising lightness that makes this full-bodied lager seem like a light beer; these are all winning qualities in my book. Not the greatest beer I've ever had, but definitely a very solid, very recommendable choice for almost anyone.

Cheers!
Ian

http://www.steinlager.com/Splash.aspx

No comments: