Sunday, January 11, 2009

January 11, 2009: Hinano Tahiti




I've had an amazing weekend. Last night was my friend Brooke's birthday and she had an absolutely incredible party at the ultra-cool Standard hotel in downtown Los Angeles and me and my closest friend got beyond hammered at the roof top bar, surrounded by skyscrapers bathed in the flourescence of a full moon. I woke up early this morning, while all of my friends were still deep in their drunken slumbers. Still half drunk, I grabbed a gatorade and headed downstairs, and out to the city that was also just beginning to wake up with the rising sun. I walked down 6th street and wandered around Pershing square for a while, chatting with a few bums by the fountain before I decided to move on. There was a lightness to my step that seemed to increase as the bright morning sun began to cut it's way through the dominating shadows of the enormous buildings. Everything I saw, every crack in the sidewalk, every art deco building that seemed out of place among the monolithic concrete buildings that encased it, every toothless grin that passed me by; I was taking it all in and I was becoming a part of it. I had my finger firmly on the pulse of this little slice of urban paradise and I thought to myself in that moment about how lucky I was to be alive, to be able to drink in the fullness of life and just be a part of something greater.

There's a point here, I promise...

After my almost indescribable weekend, I've found myself in unusually high spirits and I'm hoping I can find a beer that can match my enthusiasm for life. Enter Hinano Tahiti. My sunday morning stroll through the streets of L.A. made me realize how small my world really is. I go to work, go to school, sit around in my 790 sq. ft apartment, and generally don't get much of a chance to be a part of the great big world that exists outside of the bubble of Orange County. Today I've decided to try something a bit exotic with Hinano Tahiti. Is there anywhere in the world that is more exotic than the black sandy beaches of Tahiti? I was intrigued by the little hula girl on their logo and decided to give this lager a go.

In my opinion, this is a thoroughly decent beer. For a company that's only been around since 1955 and comes from a tiny little rock in the middle of the pacific ocean, Hinano Tahiti seems to have gotten it right. It was a pleasure drinking this beer, and there was no trace of an aftertaste. A lot of times I don't realize how much I'm truly enjoying a beer until it's gone before I know it. That was the case with Hinano Tahiti and I truly wished I had another one in my fridge right now. My only minor criticism of this beer is that as the beer began to warm, it lost a bit of it's edge and tasted just a bit flat by the end, but not enough to be considered to be a major drawback. This is definitely a specialty beer and your not going to find it at your local grocery store. If you can find it at a shop like Bevmo! or a similar specialty shop, it comes highly recommended from yours truly.

A votre sante!
Ian

http://www.hinano.com

No comments: