Tuesday, January 6, 2009

January 5, 2009: Henninger



I'm trying out a German beer today called Henninger. I'm pretty sure I've had this before at Oktoberfest once or twice, but it's kinda hard to remember for sure. Ah, German beer! Is there anything finer? Our Bavarian brothers to the east have long been famous for being the inventors of modern beer (actually, beer as we know it today was first brewed in the Czech Republic, not Germany. But don't tell them that, the Germans are kinda sensitive about the whole thing.) and they know a thing or two about brewing a fine lager. Since the lads from Deutschland pride themselves on the qaulity of their lagers, I've always held german beers to a somewhat higher standard than beers from less reputable brewing nations. Maybe it's because I expect so much from a full bodied German beer, but I was pretty disappointed with Henninger.

Does anyone remember those Keystone Light commercials from the 90's that play on the idea of the bitter beer face? If you remember those ads, that's pretty much the face I made the entire time I sipped half-heartedly on my glass of Henninger. Many German beers have a distinct bitterness to them, which often adds to the character of the beer, but for me the bitterness of the Henninger was a bit overwhelming. What was much worse than the bitter taste of this beer however, was the acrid aftertaste that followed, which I can only describe as tasting like I had just sucked on a dirty penny for an hour. I'm glad I had my Henninger with dinner, because it took a very strong flavor to get rid of the horrid aftertaste of this beer. Again, as I've stated before, this is my blog and is therefore only a reflection of my personal tastes. I'm sure many beer lovers out there would rave about Henninger, but as for me, I'll pass on this beer if it ever comes my way again.

Prost,
Ian

www.myhenninger.com
p.s. Here's a youtube link to the bitter beer face commercials I was talking about. Enjoy!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pLYxRWjHzwQ&feature=related

No comments: