Friday, January 9, 2009

January 8, 2009: Arriba




Well, it's about ten at night, I've just gotten home from torturing my body by playing soccer with my friends, and now I have to drink a beer. This is one of those nights that the 365 beers seems like more of a burden than a pleasure, but the show must go on. On the docket for tonight: Arriba. I have to confess that Despite my slight aversion to cervezas, I love the name of this beer. Arriba!!!! andalay, andalay, epa epa!!! This sounds like the beer Speedy Gonzalez and his cousin slow poke Rodriguez would drink after a long day of out running their arch nemesis Silvero Gato. Unfortunately, Arriba lacked the fun and playfullness of Mr. Speedy Gonzalez.

When I popped the cap of this almost flourescent cerveza, my olfactory senses were barraged by an ovewhelming skunkiness that seemed to stink up my whole apartment. For anyone out there who thinks that Corona is skunky, pop an Arriba and you'll think this beer is more Pepe Le Pew than Speedy Gonzalez (Ok, that's the last Warner Bros. reference, I promise!). One thing I will say for this beer is that the taste wasn't nearly as bad as the putrid stench it emitted. I would probably compare this cerveza with Pacifico in terms of taste and crispness. Would I drink Arriba again? Doubtful. However, if you're a cerveza kinda person it's not a terrible choice if you're able to track it down. Just make sure you plug your nose when opening it and in between sips. Andalay, Andalay, Arriba! Arriba!!!!

Salud,
Ian

www.laconstancia.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

We like it, and all beers dude. http://www.secondhandtravels.com/