Tuesday, January 27, 2009

January 26, 2009: Baltika 3




It's no surprise that I've been pretty hard on Russia lately. What with the Ugly Z and the mystery can of Kvass(see earlier posts) in the last 2 weeks, I've not seen much from my Soviet commerades to convince me that Russian beers are worth the gamble. I'm giving Russia another chance with Baltika 3 tonight, I'm hoping that I won't be disappointed yet again by a lifeless, substandard lager but my hopes aren't too high.

Luckily for me, Baltika has a few more things working in its than Ugly Z and the Kvass did. First off, Baltika breweries is huge. We're talking second largest brewery in all of Europe huge. It also has a name and label recognition that it's Russian counterparts that I had sampled thus far lacked. Baltika also offers a huge variety of different types of beers, ranging from light to something called Krepkoe which is roughly 10% alcohol by volume. I could have had my pick from any of a number of styles from Baltika, but I decided to go with the Baltika 3, which is considered their classic pale lager. I was really pleased with the Baltika 3, firstly because I didn't immediately gag when I tasted it, and secondly because I was able to enjoy the whole beer undisturbed. There was an ample amount of carbonation to provide that signature bite that comes along with most lagers, and I found that the Baltika 3 kept its carbonation and resisted going flat for a longer period of time than your typical lager would. Baltika 3 is a decent beer and although it was very drinkable, the truth is that there isn't that much to set Baltika apart from the hundreds of other lagers that I could obtain more easily here in the states. Baltika 3 did do a fine job however in restoring my faith in the brewers of Russia. Well done Baltika!

Budem zdorovy!
Ian

www.baltikabeer.com

p.s. fake drug paraphenalia photograph compliments of Mr. Mike Bocuzzi

No comments: