Tuesday, January 20, 2009

January 18, 2009: Maharaja




It's a busy time at the box offices in America where several critically acclaimed films are beginning to assault the general public in an attempt to make big money. For someone like me who loves art, pop culture and entertainment, I'm surprisingly not much of a movie buff. That's not to say that I am some sort of clod who can't appreciate a good film, it's just that my whole entire life I've always felt as though there wasn't enough time. Why should I sit around in a dark theater, disconnected from those around me, paying too much for a movie I probably won't like. I know I'm coming off as a cranky old bastard here, but it's just the way I've always been. I'd much rather sit around drinking with friends than go to see a movie. Every once in a while however, a movie comes along that peaks my interest just enough to get me to budge, and tonight that movie was "Slumdog Millionaire". I'm not going to use this post to wax poetic about the artistic merit of such a well made film, because frankly, I'm a beer man , not a film man. However I will say that I enjoyed this film immensely and it inspired me enough to try the Indian lager, Maharaja.

Maharaja turned out to be a pretty good beer given the circumstances. It really had nothing going for it before I sampled this beer. No reputation, no national brewing heritage, not much visual appeal. The name of this beer was really the only thing to stand out to me when I saw it in the store, but I guess that enough for me to give it a go. One of the things I loved about Maharaja was how consistant and even the flavor was throughout the course of the beer. I enjoyed this particular beer so much that I was surprised to have never heard of it before I tried it. I would definitely drink this beer again if it were more readily available to me here in the U.S.A. India has a brilliant, virbrant and awe-inspiring culture and Maharaja is in my opinion a great representative of the diverse spirit of a nation like India.

A la sature!
Ian

No comments: